Here are six (6) video clips recorded in 1979 when Parousia rented an awesome rehearsal space in a giant brick industrial building on Rano Street in Black Rock.[huge_it_videogallery id=”3″]
Our studio was located upstairs in a big warehouse that had several empty rooms where local bands practiced their music. Some of the other groups in this rehearsal warehouse were The Scooters, the Vores and Pauline and the Perils. It was very dirty and blue collar, a perfect breeding ground for Buffalo’s punk rock scene.
I remember looking out the Windows, peering down on the street and watching the neighborhood kids gathering on bikes to listen to us.
From left to right the band members are: Dave Maltbie (keyboards), Barry Cannizzaro (guitar & vocals), Kim Watts (vocals, harmonica), Gerry Cannizzaro (drums), Patt Connolly (vocals, flute), Bobby Lowden (bass guitar), Garth Huels (guitar & vocals). Lenny Krucenski ran the lights and pyro technics.
This was Parousia’s first ever video shoot courtesy of Gregg Filippone. Here’s a slideshow of the band from Gregg’s 1st generation cutting edge tube-camera video recording technology (hey, it was 1979.)
The videos were shot on this Portable Sony 1/2″ B&W Open Reel Mono VTR – the AV 3420 CE, on loan from Buff State University, courtesy of Gregg Filippone – hence the awesome quality!
The King complex on Rano Street became the King Quality Products in 1924. It sold radios through Sears, Roebuck under the “Silvertone” name. King acquired the Neutrodyne license of another company and marketed radios under its own name. The company underwent several name changes: King-Hinners Radio (1926); King-Buffalo (1927); and King Manufacturing Company (1927-30). In 1925-26, the company made 35,000 radio sets in addition to 15,000 for Sears, Roebuck.
King Manufacturing in Buffalo apparently overproduced in 1929, losing money. Sears sold its interest in the company to the Colonial Radio Company in October, 1930, which moved from its locations in Rochester and Long Island City. This company was to become Sears, Roebuck’s chief supplier of radios in the 1930s.
In 1940, Colonial acquired its first military contract. By 1942, it had dropped its production of civilian radio sets and devoted 100% of its production capacity to military products for World War II. Its first products were long range airborne transmitters, (TA-2, TA-6, TA-12), which were installed in British Lancaster and Halifax bombers. Next it produced radio sets (SCR-274, SCR-522) that were installed in every fighter, bomber, and trainer.
In 1944, the Sylvania Electric Products Company purchased the Rano Street Colonial Radio complex. In 1948, the plant was re-organized and retooled for production of radios and the first television sets for Sears, Roebuck. In 1949, televisions were produced under the Sylvania label. The Rano Street plant was named headquarters of Sylvania’s Radio and Television Division.